Berry & Cinnamon Oat Bowls
A bowl of oats is a nutritious breakfast and doesn’t have to be the same every day. Here is a fun and colourful way to brighten up your next breakfast. Berries are known for their health benefits as they are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and a natural way to sweeten the oats. Enjoy the flavour combination of these fruits with a dash of lemon zest, cinnamon and a sprinkle of nuts and seeds.
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked oats
3 cups (750 ml) water (see tips)
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
400-450 g berries, like strawberries, blueberries and gooseberries, cut to your preference (see tips)
3 tbsp (45 ml) pumpkin seeds
3 tbsp (45 ml) flaked almonds or more seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon rind (optional)
- Place oats, water, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. When it begins to simmer, stir continuously to prevent lumps. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until cooked to your preference.
- Spoon oats into bowls and top each portion with fresh berries, seeds and nuts. Add a sprinkle of grated lemon rind and serve immediately.
- Choose any fresh berries of your choice to enjoy with the oats. Raspberries and blackberries are also delicious. Plums also work well or try pears or bananas in winter – cut into cubes and sprinkle over the oats.
- If preferred, the oats can be prepared with 1½ cups (375 ml) each milk and water for a creamier texture. You can add more liquid to the oats, depending on the consistency you prefer.
- Add fresh mint leaves to the oats just before serving for a refreshing flavour.
- Frozen blueberries or raspberries can be added to the oats during the cooking time. The oats will change colour and have a delicious flavour. Use ½ cup (125 ml) frozen berries to cook with the oats. Serve with extra fresh berries.
- If preferred, the flaked almonds and pumpkin seeds can be replaced with any other nuts or seeds. Sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts or even chopped raw almonds work well. A sprinkle of coconut shavings will also be delicious.
- Serve with milk or dollops of plain unsweetened yoghurt, if preferred, to make it even more filling.