Breakfast bowls with scrambled eggs & avocado
Who says scrambled eggs are boring? Just look at these colourful bowls of wholesome goodness. Creamy avocado makes it extra filling and with an all-important dose if omegas for a healthy brain.
½ cup (125 ml) water or 1 tbsp (15 ml) per egg
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive or avocado oil
200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 avocados, cut into wedges
2 x corn on the cob, cooked and kernels cut off the cob (see tip)
1 medium red pepper, sliced
handful fresh Italian parsley or chopped chives
lemon wedges to serve
1. Beat the eggs with water, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and pour in the egg mixture.
3. Allow eggs to start setting before stirring too much. Gently stir eggs to ensure that all the raw egg is cooked. Don’t make the pan too hot, otherwise the eggs can separate quite easily. Reduce the heat if necessary.
4. Gently stir scrambled eggs, without over-mixing, until just cooked. Divide eggs between 4 bowls and keep warm.
5. Add tomatoes and the rest of the oil to the same pan while it is still hot. Sautè for a few minutes until just heated through.
6. Spoon tomatoes into the bowls of egg. Add avocado, corn and red pepper to each bowl.
7. Sprinkle herbs over and add a good grind of black pepper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
1. Cook corn on the cob: Fill a pot with just enough water so that it is about 3-4 cm deep. Bring to a boil and add the corn. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until just cooked, but still bright yellow in colour.