Crunchy apple slaw
Apples are in season and definitely not only a snack. The natural sweetness of apples is perfect to cook with and ideal to add to fresh ingredients for a winter salad.
100 g broccoli, cut into thin florets
½ cup (125 ml) each finely shredded red and white cabbage
10 cm piece cucumber, cut into thin sticks
1 celery stalk, cut into thin diagonal slices
2 pink or red apples with the skin, cut into thin sticks
15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted (see tips)
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or avocado oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) wholegrain mustard
black pepper to taste
1. Salad: Place broccoli in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes until just cooked, but still crunchy. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain well.
2. Mix all the salad ingredients, except the sesame seeds, in a large mixing bowl.
3. Salad dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with pepper.
4. Toss some of the salad dressing into the salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with the rest of the salad dressing as a healthy side dish.
1. Add cooked chicken or meat to the salad for a light meal. Chickpeas will also be delicious.
2. To toast sesame seeds, place in a dry pan over a medium heat. Toast until golden brown, tossing the pan once or twice to mix through. Take care not to burn them.
3. Substitute sesame seeds with sunflower or pumpkin seeds, if preferred. Cashews nuts or dried cranberries will also be delicious.