Spicy peanut rice with eggs
Peanuts are typically enjoyed as a quick snack, but there are many different types of cuisines that use peanuts as a prominent ingredient. This combination of peanuts, spices and aromatic rice is really fragrant.
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tsp (20 ml) paprika
4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
4 tsp (20 ml) ground coriander
1-2 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
200 g unsalted peanuts, crushed and chopped (see tips)
1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lime or lemon rind
2 tbsp (30 ml) lime or lemon juice
6 tbsp (90 ml) olive or avocado oil
3-4 tsp (15-20 ml) olive or avocado oil
8 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 cups (500 ml) uncooked brown basmati rice
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1,2 litres water
50 g unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
6-8 eggs, fried in very little oil
freshly ground black pepper and more lime or lemon juice to taste
lime or lemon wedges for serving
1. Peanut paste: Mix all the ingredients together to form a chunky paste.
2. Rice: Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil in a wide, deep saucepan over medium heat. Fry 125 ml (½ cup) of the paste for a few minutes or until just aromatic.
3. Add half of the spring onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add rice and remaining oil and fry until well coated in the peanut paste.
4. Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes or until the rice is just cooked, but not too soft.
5. Meanwhile, toast the 50 g peanuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Prepare the eggs according to your preference.
6. Season the rice to taste with pepper and lime or lemon juice.
7. Serve rice topped with fried eggs, toasted peanuts, the remaining peanut paste and lime wedges. Sprinkle with the rest of the spring onions.
1. To crush peanuts, press down on them with the blade of a large knife, then chop coarsely.
2. If preferred, the peanut paste can be prepared in a pestle and mortar. It will have a slightly finer texture.
3. Prepare double the peanut paste to enjoy with any egg dish, grilled meat or roasted vegetables. Refrigerate until needed.
4. If unsalted peanuts are not available, use salted peanuts. Take care when seasoning, and rather use less or no salt.
5. Coriander leaves will be delicious to garnish this dish.